Thursday, March 13, 2008

RAIN

I woke up this morning to the most beautiful sight. it was raining outside. There is nothing i love more that the sight, smell, sound and feel of rain. To the general public rain is a downer and is a major cause of depression (particularly if you live in Washington state), not so for me. I always fell relaxed and at peace when it rains. And everything wonderful and worthwhile has happened to me while it was raining.

It's funny how the smell of rain brings back so many memories. Playing on the swing set in my grandparents yard. Waltzing with someone special in an empty field (I highly recommend that one). Sitting on the porch watching the lightning with my parents. Listening to old detective radio dramas. The rain also heightens the smell of everything. Specifcally grass, mmm i love that smell.

Then, there is the sound. It makes me relax and relieve stress. My favorite way to fall asleep is listening to the rain. I have to confess i own one of those "sounds of nature" Cd's, and when I'm really stressed i turn out all the lights and listen to the rain. Nothing can compare with that sound of a heavy rain fall on a tin roof, with the knowledge that you are safe and warm inside.

I also simply love to watch it rain. It's soothing to sit and watch the ripples in puddles as each new drop hits the earth. Or the patterns made by the rain on the window. Rain brings new growth, everything is clean and fresh after the rain. The air is so much clearer. Rainbows fill the sky.

So this morning as i walked out my door, I took a deep breath, and decided to walk to the Trax station, instead of drive to work. As it happens, as i was sitting on the Trax reading, i came to a passae about stopping to really appreciate this great creation called earth. The Thought Came to mind that everyone needs to stop "life" every once in a while so we can learn to enjoy the "life" of nature.
See, I told you everything whorthwhile happens in the rian.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I put in my Carpenter's album and I felt much better..."Rainy days and Mondays" don't have to get me down.